Andrew H. Walker/ Getty Images
5 Things to Know About Joseph Gordon-Levitt
August 24, 2012
This actor got his start in the business on the small screen, most recently played a Gotham City police detective in The Dark Knight Rises, and now portrays a speedy New York City bicycle messenger in his new thriller, Premium Rush. Here are five things you probably don't know about Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
1. Began his acting career at the tender age of six -- appearing in commercials for Cocoa Puffs, Pop-Tarts, and Kinney Shoes -- before landing his breakout role in the TV comedy series 3rd Rock from the Sun in 1996.
2. Decided to take a break from acting after making the 2001 movie Manic to attend New York's Columbia University, where he studied history, literature, and French poetry. Although he dropped out in 2004 to return full-time to acting, he called the university experience "one of the smartest things I've ever done."
3. Got the part of Arthur in Inception after James Franco turned down the role.
4. Among his favorite actors are Daniel Day-Lewis, Gary Oldman, and Gena Rowlands.
5. His mother, Jane Gordon, ran for a U.S. Congress seat in California during the 1970s representing the Peace and Freedom Party.